Seminar Week 2017: Corsica
Sounds from Granite Island
Acoustic architecture in Corsica
We will explore the vernacular stone architecture of Corsica with its deeply rooted, vivid relationship to landscape, sound and everyday culture. Through on-site acoustic experiments, soundwalks, and workshops with local experts, we will investigate the sonica and haptic dimensions of a range of building types and construction methods – from the primitive hut to the modernist architecture-sculpture objects, from the medieval citadel to the contemporary urban structure of Bastia. By circumnavigating the island, we will test how architectural texture affects resonance and how sound can be used to create social spaces in Corsica’s diverse landscapes.
ACTIVITIES & WORKSHOPS:
– Sound recording and experimental playback with speakers on site
– Traditional singing workshop in indoor/outdoor spaces (with Christian Andreani)
– Comparing Church Acoustics with polyphonic Confraternity (Jean-Jacques Andreani)
– Presentation of traditional Corsican instruments (with Christian Andreani)
– Field sketching (architecture, urban/rural spaces and settings, views)
– Collecting material samples and developing a texture palette with rock rubbings
– Rock hunting through photographs and sketches
– Meetings with young Corsican architects
– Hiking tour
Prof. Christophe Girot
CONTACT: Ludwig Berger
Introduction: 9.3.2017, 17.00-19:00h, HIL H 40.5 (AudioVisual Lab)
18.3. Zurich – Nice – Bastia
DAY 1: Port City, Contemporary Architecture, Musical Procession.
19.3. Patrimonio / Bastia
PM: Bastia – Fête de la Saint Joseph
DAY 2: Chant, Polychromic Mountain Drive, Harbor Evening.
20.3. Patrimonio – Murato – Corte – Ajaccio
AM: Patrimonio – Singing Workshop (Christian Andreani)
PM: San Michele de Murato – Corte – Ajaccio
DAY 3: Church Acoustics, Polyphony, Ruins.
21.3 Ajaccio – Sartène
AM: Churches of Ajaccio – Chant Presentation (Jean-Jacques Andreani & Confrérie Saint Jean Baptiste)
PM: Coti Chiavari or Filitosa – Sartène
DAY 4: Medieval Maze, Granite Tafoni, Limestone Citadel.
22.3. Sartène – Bonifacio
AM: City of Sartène
PM: A Casa di Roccapina
DAY 5: Sea Caves, Limestone Cliffs, Marine Cemetery.
AM: Bonifacio by the sea
PM: Bonifacio / Optional Excursion
DAY 6: Granite Woods, Megalith Cult, Brutalism on the Beach.
24.3. Bonifacio – Patrimonio
AM: Cucuruzzu & Capula
PM: Col de Bavella – Ghisonaccia – Patrimonio
DAY 7: Mountain Hike, Sound Jam, Wine Tasting.
25.3. Patrimonio / Cap Corse
AM: Sisco – Hiking & Traditional Instrument Workshop (Christian Andreani)
PM: Cap Corse – Patrimonio
26.3. Bastia – Nice – Zurich